Monday, October 17, 2011

What I Learned From This Weekend

I have many things to talk about and not enough motivation to give them each their own post. So I'm going to give you the shortened version of all the things I learned from this weekend. Just keep in mind that the shortened version of what I learned over the weekend is probably longer than what I learn during the week. That's because I spend all of my weekend studying, not watching sports and laying around (sarcasm). But in all seriousness, sports can teach you a thing or two you'll never read in a book. Here's my report:


  • I learned that the K-State football team is having a special type of year: I had the feeling after the Baylor game but wasn't completely sold until this last week's game against Texas Tech. Snyder has pulled off more magic in this season than all the Harry Potter movies combined. In the game vs. Tech, K-State had under 100 yards total offense while giving up over 300 in the first half. Despite that, K-State "Snydered" their way to a close score at half. Two blocked kicks and a kick return for a touchdown kept K-State in the game in the first half. K-State found a way to make the game intense from beginning to end, keeping their fans on the edge of their seats throughout the game (particularly me!) The Wildcats are now ranked 11th in BCS, 12th in the AP Poll and 16th in the Coaches Poll, the highest they've been in most, if not all, of those polls since 2003. The roughest part of their schedule has yet to come but I think Snyder will find a way to keep surprising people until the day he's done coaching football, so stay tuned.
  • I learned that Tony La Russa is the best manager in the MLB right now and maybe ever: The St. Louis Cardinals clinched their birth in to World Series tonight with another explosive offensive performance and bullpen led pitching staff. The Cardinals were down almost 10 game on the 1st of September and got hot late to steal the Wild Card spot from the Atlanta Braves on the last day of the regular season. La Russa is trying for his 3rd world series and his 2nd as a Cardinals manager. His ability to manage and use his bullpen affectively stood out especially in this series as the Cardinal's bullpen pitched more innings than their actual pitchers did. It was unorthodox but still a typical La Russa managed series as the Cardinals were sound on defense (especially compared to the Brewers), had timely hitting and were discipline hitters at the plate. The Cardinals will play the Nolan Ryan run Texas Rangers, I will hopefully have a preview of the World Series by today but no later than Tuesday. 
  • I learned Jim Harbaugh needs to take hand-shaking classes: If you have not seen the post-game-power handshake Jim Harbaugh gave Jim Schwartz, I have the video of it posted. I understand he is a first-year NFL coach and is used to the college atmosphere and excitement of things, but there comes a time and place for celebration as a coach. The middle of an opponents field in week 6 is not the time or place. Now I am not saying that Jim Schwartz was right in any way or form, he is no better than Harbaugh in that coaches always preach "Be the bigger man, we'll get em next time" and "the second guy always gets caught." Well he followed neither of these philosophies and made himself look like a fool on national television. I don't find this as a huge deal in my mind so long as some sort of apology comes from both coaches comes out for their organization, players and the NFL. We'll see how Roger Goodell feels about this rare type of incident soon if any fines  come out this week. 
 
  • I learned that sometimes, people need to remember that sports' figures are people too: No matter how much you hate an opposing player because of the team he/she plays on, the trouble they got into, the celebrations they do, the smack they talk or any other reason really, you should keep in mind that tomorrow is not promised for anyone. The Racing World lost a great driver in Dan Wheldon today in a disastrous crash at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I'm not even a racing fan and this made me think a little. Don't be afraid to root against opposing teams/players, just keep in mind the ways you do it, don't take it farther than it needs to be. Most of the time, fans' outlook on player's is wrong anyway but yell blatantly beer-influenced ignorance none the less. 
  • I learned that NCAA football needs a playoff: Oh wait, I learned that 5 years ago. Seriously though, there are so many teams this year that I believe could legitimately win the championship: Alabama, LSU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Oregon (maybe stretching it with injuries but I'm trying to make a point!) Only 2 of these teams will play for the National Championship, I'm guessing Oklahoma and LSU, while the other 3 have no shot to redeem themselves in the post-season.
That's what I learned this week, if you feel I missed anything, the comment section is straight down. If not, I'll try to get that World Series breakdown done today 

No comments:

Post a Comment