Monday, July 4, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

For the first time in my somewhat short life, I got the opportunity to dog-sit. I've babysat before but never had to watch dogs, so didn't know what to expect. Logically, I thought it would be much easier to watch two dogs than actual humans. Now I wasn't wrong, it is easier, but it's definitely no cake walk. I learned a few tricks about taking care of these dogs, if I were ever to have to do it again.

  1. Distractions: If you need to get something accomplished, get the dogs out of the room, or keep them occupied, give them something to keep their mind on. For example, bones work perfectly; one bone can buy you an hour of peace and quiet. Food is also another distractor, unfortunately they eat their food faster than Hummers eat gas, so time is limited. Chew toys also can work, but most of the time they'll want you to play with them, so it defeats the purpose. 
  2. Walks: These dog's have a lot of energy, so they need somewhere to burn this energy. I found that fetch is a never-ending game so the best way to constructively use this energy is to take them on walks. There is a catch though, if you value both your arms, you will take them one at a time. Luckily I could only find one leash so this was my only option but I am happy it was because one was probably all I could handle. I say walk cautiously because every time a squirrel was within sniffing distance, it turned into a run.
Ok so I didn't learn that many tricks but granted I only watched them for 3 day's, you can't expect much. Anyways, my Brother and Sister-in-law hung out with me the first night I was there. We went to their local pool, which was really nice. I embarrassed my self on the diving board, as usual, and worked on my tan at the same time. We grilled at the house, got frozen yogurt at Green Apple (delicious), and watched the movie Cedar Rapids to finish the night. The next morning, my brother took me golfing at a golf course called Falcon Ridge. It was a really neat golf course and felt like a course that you would see in the Lake of the Ozarks because of all the hills and elevated tees/greens. It was a good time though, even though neither of us played real well (although I did beat him for the first time). After golfing, we had to get some of their fallen limbs cut up and out of the back yard. So we fired up the chain saw, looking like "Tim the tool man Taylor", and went to work. By the time that was over, they were headed out of town and I had the house to myself. I then preceded to take a good nap to acquaint myself with the house, as is normal right? The next few days went by pretty quickly, after seeing some friends from college and just relaxing, it was time to go back home. This weekend was what I needed, a relaxing getaway from everything and a couple of loyal dogs to play with. Can't ask for much more.

I plan on being lazy today and just watching TV and maybe a movie or two on our country's birthday. Than it's back to the grind of 6 a.m. wake ups tomorrow. Oh and only a week and a year until I'm 21! Who say's it's to early to start a countdown? Cause I'm not listening. Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment