Monday, July 18, 2011

Trying New Things

The saying "you don't know if you like/dislike something, unless you've tried it" can hold true for almost anything. Sports, food, movies, books, TV shows, drinks, people, and even clothes. Ok maybe not clothes, we can usually make a good judgement of what we'll look like in foreign clothing. But the saying can still be true for almost anything else, except drugs kids, JUST SAY NO! Trying new things that you previously thought you could never like, could end in the polar opposite. For example, here are a few things that I've tried lately that I thought I'd never like, and ended up enjoying.


  1. Mushrooms: When I was a kid, I wouldn't touch mushrooms. I'm not sure the exact reason but I think it had to with the fact they grow almost anywhere. I never realized as a kid that you don't eat the mushrooms that grow in your yard, but avoided them none the less when I did. I started, like a lot of things, eating mushrooms at college. It started on pizza and has grown to salads, steaks, fajitas, and pitas of course. 
  2. Physical activity: Ok, I realize I have played sports and have been active for almost my entire life. But that physical activity wasn't for the purpose I use it for now. Before, going to the gym was a part of getting ready for games, a place to hang out with friends and most importantly a place to get away from school. Now, physical activity is a way to manage stress. I don't have any games to get ready for but it still can be a place to hang out with friends and a place to get my mind away from a huge exam or midterm. 
  3. Reading: Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed reading a good book but never made the time or effort to do so regularly. I am now trying to do so. My reasoning towards making this attempt is that I've always been told that a good writer has read many other writers' works. Also, reading can broaden your mind and inform you on ideas that you never would have been exposed to otherwise. The third reason goes along with the second, and that I'm trying to specifically read sports related books. Since I want to get into sports writing, I figured the more knowledgeable I am about said sports, the better writer I'll be (hopefully).  I'm currently reading the book written about Derek Jeter, called The Captain. I'll let you know how it is. 
  4. Frisbee Golf: Considering we have a frisbee golf course in our back yard, not literally but basically it is, it would make sense that I would have tried playing it before say...a week ago. But as it is, I just started playing after years of watching people fling frisbees behind my house. Why after all this time you ask? Boredom mostly, but boredom that led to a new game I play so I'm not complaining (at the moment). I'm not great at it, yet, but I am better already than I am at regular golf (not saying much) and it's a cheap sport. All you need is three frisbees: a driver, mid-range, and putter. That is of course if you keep the frisbee out of the trees which I have had trouble doing so far. 


I can't put more than 4 new things on my plate at a time without something falling off, and who wants that. So this all I'm taking on for now but I do have somethings I'd like to at least try in the future. Things like cottage cheese (yucky), watching less TV (not likely), and going to church more regularly (hopeful) are some things in the batters box for me. We'll see if I strike out or hit a home run on my new hobbies, hopefully the latter. Until then, stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment